Applications are now open for the border exception for 300 overseas qualified teachers. We've highlighted the key details below, and a complete set of Terms and Conditions is available here.
Don't have an overseas teacher lined up yet? ep.education is currently working with a strong contingent of international teachers eager to move to New Zealand. Contact us now to fill your 2022 vacancies.
- Teacher qualification, registration and certification, and visa processes still need to be satisfied.
- Teachers and their families must book and complete a 14-day stay in managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ). Employers will be billed for the costs of MIQ. The exception does not reserve a space in a facility or give priority access to MIQ.
- Vacancies must be for full-time roles – either permanent or fixed term. A separate application is required for each vacancy.
- For each New Teacher application, employers will need to show that they have exhausted the New Zealand labour market, such as evidence of advertising or engagement of a recruitment agency.
- During October, each service, school, or kura can make up to one New Teacher application. From Monday 8 November 2021, up to two applications for each school, kura, or service will be accepted.
- A teacher who has taught in NZ since the border closed, but has chosen to leave, cannot use the border exception process.
- Employers can apply for a $5,500 grant for each border exception to help cover costs associated with recruiting the teacher, payable once the teacher has completed their MIQ stay.
Eligibility Criteria for Schools:
An eligible school or kura must be a state or state-integrated school that meets one of these criteria:
- decile 1-3, or
- hard to staff, or
- is recruiting a STEM teacher
The following subjects are included:
General Science, Earth Science, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Astronomy, Agriculture, Horticulture, Sustainability, General Mathematics, Statistics, Calculus, Digital Technology, Hard Technology, Food Technology/Science, Geology, and Robotics.
The following subjects are not covered:
Social Sciences, Psychology, the Arts, Geography, Nutrition, Languages (including English), Soft Technology, and Physical Education and Health.
Eligibility Critieria for ECE
An eligible early learning service is:
- a standalone service that has a decile 8-10 rating on the 2018 Health Deprivation Index - or if there is no rating, the decile of the nearest primary school must be decile 1-3.
- the service or centre may be independent or part of a network of centres under a single owner.
You'll need an Education Sector Logon (ESL) to apply.
ep.education and you
Don't have an overseas teacher lined up yet? ep.education is currently working with a strong contingent of international teachers eager to move to New Zealand at the first opportunity possible.